Saturday, February 4, 2012

Feeding the Multitudes

The Savior provided two similar miracles.

In Matthew 14:14-21, Christ first went forth, healing the sick of the multitude. Then, his disciples seeing that it was evening told him to send them away to go and buy food. And he had compassion on them. He said, “they need not depart; give ye them to eat. “ But they only had five loaves of bread and two fishes. And he said, “bring them hither to me.” He could have easily sent them away, knowing that there were over 5000 people and they didn’t have enough food for all of them, but he did not. He told the multitude to sit on the grass and he took the bread and the fishes and he blessed t hem and brake and then his disciples gave them to the multitudes. All 5000 men, women, and children ate until they were full, and they had 12 full baskets remaining.

In Matthew 15: 32-38, Christ went forth again, healing the sick of the multitude. And he had compassion on them because they were with him for 3 days without anything to eat and would not send them away fasting. And his disciples asked him how they would get so much bread to feed such a great multitude. And Jesus asked how many loaves they had, and they answered seven and a few fishes. Then Jesus told the multitude to sit down on the ground. Then he took the seven loaves of bread and the fishes and he gave thanks and he brake them and then he gave them to his disciples and the disciples gave them to the multitude. And the 4000 men, women, and children did eat until they were filled and there were 7 full baskets remaining.

In Romans 3:23 it says, “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” Just like they didn’t have enough food for the multitude, we as humans can never reach the glory of God without the help of Christ. He must make up the difference for us, which is what he did when he atoned for our sins. He bridged that gap for us and made it possible for us to return and live with our Heavenly Father. He saw that we would be lacking, and had compassion on us, just as he did for the multitude.

In Ether 12:27 it says, “And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.” The Lord gives us weakness so that we will humble ourselves and come to him and ask for his help. We have to realize that there is a great power than ourselves and that we cannot do it alone. With God’s help, we can accomplish great things. When we do not humble ourselves, we become prideful and think that our success is because of our own doing, which is not correct. All that we have is because of the blessings from the Lord. Our weaknesses can become strengths when we humble ourselves, ask the Lord for this help, and work on these weaknesses. The Lord will then help us make them into strengths.

I have seen this in my life. I have been overweight for many years. I have had a desire to become healthy and lose weight. Exercising has always been a weakness for me and has never been a habit. I made a commitment that I would exercise for at least 30 minutes every day, no matter what. I humbled myself, took it to the Lord and asked him to help me overcome this weakness so that I could become healthier and live a long life so that I could take care of my daughter. For the past 3 months I have been able to accomplish this goal. Within 2 weeks, I didn’t dread exercising anymore. I actually starting looked forward to it. It has been over 3 months now and I have created a habit of exercise in my life and I have lost 20 pounds. The Lord has helped make one of my weaknesses into a strength, and I am so grateful for this blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment