Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Testament Class


This semester I am taking a New Testament class. I am really excited about it. There is nothing I need more in my life than to learn more about the Savior and his life. Our first assignment was to study about his birth in Matthew 1-2, Luke 1-2 and John 1, and John 17. I have read about his birth over and over throughout the years, but never this in depth. My Student Choice Assignment was to read Luke 1:39-45, 2:8-38; Matthew 2:1-18 which talks about different people who learned of the birth of Jesus Christ. I filled out a chart describing who they were, how they learned about the Savior, what they knew about the Savior, and what they did with their knowledge of Him.

Who

How they learned about the Savior

What they knew about the Savior

What they did with their knowledge

Elisabeth (Luke 1:39-45)

Her cousin, Mary, the Savior’s mother came to visit her. When Mary entered her home and greeted her, Elisabeth’s baby leaped in her womb, and she was filled with the Holy Ghost. At that moment, she knew that Mary was carrying the Son of God.

She knew that the Savior was prophesied to come soon.

She knew that Mary was going to be the mother of the Savior and she told Mary that.

Shepherds (Luke 2:8-18)

An angel of the Lord appeared unto them and told them of his birth

They knew that he was born in the City of David and he would be wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger

They made it known to those around them which was told to them concerning the child

Simeon (Luke 2:25-35)

The Holy Ghost revealed unto him that he should not see death until he shall see Christ

He would be a light to lighten the Gentiles and the glory of the people of Israel

He told Mary and Joseph

Anna (Luke 2:36-38)

She lived at the temple and was able to see him

She knew he was the Redeemer and Savior

She would speak of the Savior to all that looked for redemption in Jeruselam

Wise Men (Matthew 2: 1-12)

They heard the prophesy of the star and saw the star in the east and went to worship him

They saw the young child with his mother Mary and they gave him gifts. God warned them in a dream that they should not return to Herod.

They departed to their country another way. It doesn’t say what they did with their knowledge, but I’m sure they told many about their experience of seeing the Savior.

Herod (Matthew 2: 1-18

Herod had sent the Wise Men to find the Savior.

When the wise men didn’t return, he was angry and slew all children in Bethlehem 2 years and under

He was an evil man and tried to destroy the Savior.

Chief Priests (Matthew 2:1-6)

The prophets wrote of the Savior’s birth and that’s how they knew that he would be born

They knew that there would be a star in the east and that would be the sign of his birth

They told Herod that he would be born in Bethlehem of Judaea, according to the writings of the prophets

Nephites (3 Nephi 1: 12-22)

There was a sign—in the night there was no darkness, according to the prophesy

That when they saw the signs, that he would be born

Many repented and received a remission of their sins


2. Write a response to the question: What do I know about the Savior, how have I learned it, and what am I doing with what I know?

I know that the Savior is my Redeemer, my Brother, and my Friend. I know that He suffered for my sins and that He has felt every heartache, worry, doubt, and fear that I have ever had and will ever have. I know that He has faith in me and that He loves me. I know that the atonement is real not only for the sinner, but for the sinned against and that He can heal physical and emotional wounds. I have learned these things through study, prayer, and most of all, through personal experience. I am trying to live my life to be more like Him, so that the people around me will see His image in me. I am trying to teach my daughter about Him, so that she will know Him and have a personal relationship with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment